Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Chamber CD - Day 31

Wednesday, December 06, 2006
12:16 AM

Well, look at that, I am done. I’ve laid out my “colours” and I am ready to “paint”.

It’s hard to believe. Actually, I feel a little bit confused about it - like it can’t be true. I’m afraid tomorrow I’ll listen to my ideas, wind up hating them and tossing them all.

But I have to commit at some point. Always in the back of my head is “you could do better”, but if I keep thinking that I’ll never do anything.

So I have my colours laid, out; my motives, chords, melodic ideas, rhythmic ideas, tempo, instrumentation (flute and vibes) and even some idea of the form.

The ideas I have so far tend to sound kind of impressionistic, so I’ve been playing through Debussy’s “Suite Bergamesque” and “Prélude a L’Après-Midi d’un Faune” this morning, paying special attention to the harmonic and melodic language. I read through the beginning of Ravel’s “Daphnes and Chloé” as well. I just wanted to compare and build from there.

So now it’s lunch time, I have planned tomorrow’s composition time. Should be good.

No comments: